Sunday, February 14, 2016

Singapore

Republic of Singapore is a Global City in Southeast Asia. It is the only Island City-state in the world.
According to the world bank it is the "easiest place to do business". It is a small island wherein almost all of the destinations are accessible by train and bus.

Currency: Singapore Dollar
Languages: Mandarin Chinese, Malay, Tamil, English
Religion: Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Taoism, Hinduism
Climate: Tropical Rainforest
Mode of transportation: Train/ Metro, Bus, Taxi, Bike (for short distance)
Singapore is Right hand drive so just be very careful when crossing the street.

CCTV's can be found anywhere. SG is monitored 24/7 so definitely crime scenes can easily be traced.


Culture: Singapore is a young country. During their independence with the British during 1963, there were uneducated labourers from Malaysia, China, and India were given citizenship. There are middle class born localities called Peranakans. After their independence, the Singaporean culture began.

Singaporeans doesn't have the same languages, but widely use is Mandarin Chines. Moreover, they don't have the same religion and customs. English is the first language of the nation but almost 40% of the localities is able to speak the language as taught in school.

The attitudes and behaviors of most Singaporeans are influenced by their own respective religions and languages. The percentage that can speak English are mostly Westernized. Those who speak Mandarin have beliefs and tradition of the Chinese and Malays, they tend to have a closed-link to Islamic beliefs.

Singapore's Flag carrier is Singapore Airlines. Their international Airport is called Changi and rated as on of the known best airports worldwide.

When I arrived last February 2015 from Dubai, the beautiful Changi Airport was the first thing I noticed as it was clean. I filled up a form for tourists wherein I submitted towards the immigration and they stamped it afterwards. In the arrival area I was waiting for my cousin to fetch me up. I couldn't contact him as my Roaming number wasn't working. I tried to call him over the pay phone but I still don't have the coins of the Singaporean Currency. After awhile, he approached me. 

We traveled via Metro, which is just outside SG. Singapore's train was like Dubai's Metro wherein they have a Tap Card. Whenever going towards the train and exiting, you should need to tap it or else the charge will give you high credits. These train access can be obtained in almost all of the stations and you just need to load it.

We arrived in Hougang, a place in SG wherein it was green because there were lots of planted trees. Singapore's accommodations are mostly Flats/ Condominiums. I was happily welcomed by My cousin's friend but I was shy at first because he provided me a Free accomodation. I asked my cousin way back before if I should book a hotel for myself, He suggested that there are also Flats that have rented room wherein you can pay them per day, but there are also cheap hotels, but to be practical he wanted me to stay in his friend's house so I can save money. :) I was happy during that time because of their warm hospitality.

On my first day, I just drop my Bags (as I was carrying a Big trolley bag because I will go back to Philippines after my tour for my vacation). Immediately, We ate in one of the stores near the building and grab for some noodles. He said most of the noodles in SG are not salty because It only depends on your choice if you have to add salt and pepper to your dish. The cost was around 15 SG dollars for that meal with softdrinks. 


Our next thing was to tour around Singapore. There were Bus stops wherein there's a guide map where the bus number travels. Always take note where these bus takes you as they all have the route in each designated bus number. The bus fee are paid also by the tap card.





We went to Hougang train station to travel again by Metro.

Our first stop was Tan Tock Seng hospital wherein I thought all the while that my previous hospital Colleagues were employed in this medical institution.


The second stop was in Orchard which there are lots of High end Brands. There's  a train station in Orchard wherein there's an entrance going inside the mall.





The street was not busy during that time. There are small refreshments store which you can buy Cigarettes as a cost of 10-16 SG dollars (expensive), they also serve beer and water.

We traveled into different parts of the City via Metro.












Most of the places are accessible by metro, all you need to do is prepare yourself for a long walk if you have limited time to catch up to view most of the parts in Singapore.

































No comments:

Post a Comment